Moving Insurance



At In & Out Moving we take great pride in ensuring that your belongings reach their destination in their original condition. For your added protection there are two different coverage options available to you. We advise that you read the following information on each option carefully and select the policy that you feel most comfortable with. If you have any questions concerning these options or are unsure which one to select, please do not hesitate to contact your relocation consultant for further assistance. Please note that In & Out Moving will not be liable for any valuables such as documents, medicine, priceless items, jewelry and currency. Such items should be removed from the property prior to the move and should be kept out of reach.

This option is a basic coverage that all licensed carriers must provide at no additional charge to their clients for local moves and it is the least amount of protection a customer can have on property being transported. $0.30 per pound per article covers the maximum liability a carrier is limited to if any damage or loss occurs during a local move.

This policy will be written on your name through a third party insurance company and will provide you a full replacement policy based on actual cash value of your items that were damaged. This policy must be purchased at least two days prior to the move date. Please find the rate schedule for this option in the following link. To purchase this option, you should contact the insurance company directly thru or call them at 888-893-8835. For better understanding of your rights and responsibilities, provided by the American Moving and Storage Association,
please visit


The most economical protection available is Released Value, since it is offered at no additional charge. However, the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover assumes liability for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 10-pound stereo component valued at $1,000, you would only receive $6.00 in compensation (60 cents x 10 pounds). There is no additional charge for Released Value. However, you must sign a specific statement on the bill of lading or contract agreeing to it. But remember, it compensates you according to the weight of the item, not its actual value. And, if you do not select Released Value, your shipment will automatically be transported at the Full Value Protection level of liability and you will be assessed the applicable charge. Full Value Protection and Released Value are not insurance policies governed by State insurance laws; instead, they are Federal contractual tariff levels of liability authorized under Released Rates Orders of the Surface Transportation Board of the U.S. Department of Transportation.

Moving InsuranceIf you select Released Value, some movers may also offer to sell or obtain for you separate liability insurance. The cost of this insurance is not included in the basic move and must be purchased separately by you. This is not valuation coverage governed by Federal law—it is optional insurance regulated by State law. If you purchase this coverage, the mover remains liable for the amount up to 60 cents per pound per article; but the rest of the loss is recoverable from the insurance company up to the amount of insurance you purchased. Your mover is required to issue the policy or other written record of the purchase and provide you with a copy at the time of purchase. You also have the option of purchasing insurance from a third-party insurance company. Before purchasing insurance, check your homeowner’s insurance policy to see if you’re already covered. For better understanding of your rights and responsibilities, provided by the American Moving and Storage Association, please visit



The basic insurance is limit to 60 cents per pound per article. This is called the “released value” (it is the minimum amount of liability required by law when transporting goods out of state).

The dollar amount is up to you. The cost is an additional minimum charge of $1.25 times the weight of your shipment (based on the depreciated value of an item). The entire delivery is covered at a value up to the the dollar amount you declare. If your shipment exceeds the liability of $1.25 per pound times the weight of your shipment, you may wish to obtain full replacement liability. International Movers are permitted to limit their liability for loss or damage to articles of extraordinary value, you may need extra insurance for such items.

This coverage equals the replacement cost or the repair of a damaged item. MIS as residential moving companies can sell you or get for you liability insurance in the amount you request if you release your shipment for transportation at a value of 60 cents per pound per article. If any damages or loss to your shipment occurs during your move, the mover is liable for an amount not exceeding 60 cents per pound per article, and the balance of the loss (up to the amount of insurance purchased) will be covered by the insurance company. This coverage may also have a deductible. Coverage with a deductible reduces the premium.

No wait free and easy quote!
please complete and submit the following form or contact us at: 

Extra insurance can be purchased with an independent insurance company, which will cover you for the duration of the move. MIS will be happy to direct you to a company that will bind your move. This coverage may also have a deductible. Coverage with a deductible reduces the premium.

Moving Insurance Free Quote Start Here

Moving Insurance

  • Get Instant Quote
  • need help

Moving Insurance Useful Links

call us now